A fire engine from the Alvin Volunteer Fire Department sits outside Alvin Memorial Gardens apartments on Saturday after smoke accumulated in the west wing. (Photo by Joshua Truksa) 

The Alvin Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call at Alvin Memorial Gardens apartments on Gordon Street at approximately 12:44 p.m. Saturday. 

Capt. Andy Van Dine said the smoke alarms did their job to prevent a fire. 

Smoke was generated when a resident on the second floor of the west wing removed some brownies in the oven, accidentally turned on the stovetop instead of turning off the oven, then went to take a shower. The smoke was confined to the west wing.

The building has metal fire doors installed to automatically close off each wing in the event of a fire alarm to prevent the spread of fires.




(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.