The Alvin Public Library will host an open house Sept. 19 to celebrate 25 years at its current location.
The building that has been known as the Alvin Library for over two decades was first proposed in 1992, with voters approving the 18,000 square foot facility at a cost of $1.6 million in August of the same year.
Construction began in late 1993, with the library opening to much fanfare in September 1994. The Alvin Sun included a special section in its Sept. 25, 1994, issue entirely dedicated to the opening of the new library, and reporter Wendy Mohon wrote at the time that the library’s previous facility on Sealy Street could “fit comfortably inside the children’s book section of the new building.”
Having a library in Alvin was the brainchild of members of the small Athenaeum Study Club in 1922, with a small facility opening in a room at the American Legion Hall that was provided free of rent for the purpose.
Using funds donated by Alvin State Bank, the Alvin Masonic Lodge, the Ku Klux Klan and Alvin Grocery Co., Alvin’s first library facility opened March 24, 1923, with less than 650 volumes to serve a community that the 1920 Census counted as having 1,519 people.
Over the next 71 years, the library moved multiple times, from the American Legion Hall to a school building, then to a room at the First National Bank and finally to a room in the old city hall on Sealy Street (where the Alvin Senior Center is now located) where it remained for 65 years before moving to its current location.